Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Blonde Brownies I

A family tradition in my house for Christmas Eve is to put on a spread of sweets and other guilty pleasures, watch Christmas movies, and just be with whomever happens to be around. This year we are cranking it up a notch and adding a chocolate fountain to the mix.

Yeah, I must be going crazy, they are cheap though!

Work has taught me that you need a spread of bite sized things to dunk under the fountain of chocolate and I can vouch for the fact that brownies pretty much rock the chocolate. So they are mandatory.

The Recipe


I wanted some light brownies as well, for folks who don't want chocolate on chocolate, and did some searching for a good recipe. This is what I decided to go with:


Blonde Brownies I


The Dry Goods
  • 125 g sifted all-purpose flour
  • 2 g baking powder
  • 0.6 g baking soda
  • 3 g salt
  • 60 g chopped walnuts
  • The Wet Goods
The Wet Goods
  • 75 g butter
  • 220 g packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 15 ml vanilla extract
  • Breaking the Recipe
Also, chocolate chips!


Making It


This one is easy as pie. Put the dry goods together and mix them, put the wet goods together and mix them (melt that butter), then put them both together and mix them. Pour in a 9x9 pan and bake!


Breaking the Recipe


Because this was going in the chocolate fountain, I held back the chocolate chips and walnuts. My goal is for the flavor to be simple and nice and then to let the chocolate add the zing to it.


Plating


It's not really going to plate, because it's not ready until its on a stick and drenched in liquid chocolate, so I took a picture of it in the pan I'm keeping everything. I cut the brownies down to small bite size nibblers, which should work well with the fountain.




Afterthoughts


Once things were cooled and cut, I tried them. OK, I tried them while cutting them! They are good, but not quite what I hoped. They have a nice flavor, reminiscent of a caramel. In my mind I was looking for something golden and cake like. I think the blame falls on me, I should have gone from the cake angle. I can't blame the recipe. 


It does taste good, and chocolate and caramel are a great match, so I think it'll work nice on Christmas Eve.


Special thanks to my daughters, who did the dirty work of making this while I supervised. They bake like pros!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just so you know, I have moderation set to on for all comments. I don't expect many and will do what I can to approve yours fast! I just don't want to feed the spammers with a fresh and easy target.